Hello,
Your assumption is incorrect. The full node will not scan the whole blockchain
using the filter on your behalf and return the relevant filtered blocks.
Instead you must request every Merkle block after having provided a filter to
your peer. You can optimise by only downloading Merkle blocks that have a
timestamp after the date that you created the wallet (or better a week earlier).
Greetings