I think that I have answered my own question. I guess that it can be done
like this:

ECKey ecKeyFromHex =
aWalletKitApp.wallet().findKeyFromPubKey(Utils.HEX.decode(hexPubKey));

However, I'm still wondering if the reason why there is not a method to do
this directly
(which to me, getting an ECKey from a public key hex seems something very
common to require) is
some conceptual mistake that I have.