I think it's just disabled because Android cannot load classpath
resources, so it can't load the bundled checkpoints. Use something like:

InputStream checkpointsInputStream = getAssets().open("checkpoints");
                CheckpointManager.checkpoint(NETWORK_PARAMETERS,
checkpointsInputStream, blockStore, earliestKeyCreationTime);