PLASE NOTE: Renovations are complete; we're back at our usual North York
location!

Topic:

The voicemail application in Asterisk is one of the oldest of the
dialplan applications. It is often critisized as one of the
less-than-compelling parts of Asterisk, and, because it's functionality
is locked up in a very complex, messy and poorly-documented bit of code
(app_voicemail.c), no one has the nerve to touch it.

Jim Van Meggelen believes there is a way to fix app_voicemail, and the
way to do it is to completely get rid of it. Rather than treat voicemail
as a closed application, and try and design an app that handles every
possible thing that anyone might want to use it for, it makes more sense
to see voicemail as a complex (very complex, in fact) IVR application,
and break it down into dialplan components that can be delivered through
dialplan logic.

This is easy to say; not so easy to do. Replacing app_voicemail with
dialplan code is going to require a lot of code, and there are several
dialplan apps that will need to be created or modified in order to allow
this to happen.

This session will introduce TAUGs first community development project:
Voicemail TNG. Everyone is more than welcome, but this session will be
geared towards people with a solid knowledge of asterisk architecture, so
bring your thinking cap.

When:

  TOMORROW, Thursday October 4th, 2007
  7:00pm - 8:00pm

Where:

  North York Civic Centre (in Mel Lastman Square)
  Committee Room 3
  5100 Yonge St.,
  North York, ON
  (Google map link: http://xrl.us/hqbw)

  The entrance into the conference area is well back from the road, just
  in front of the fountains.

Driving:

  The North York Civic Centre (in Mel Lastman Square) is located on the
  West side of Yonge Street, just North of Yonge and Sheppard. There is
  plenty of (P)arking behind the building at 180 Beecroft Road, or
  underneath Empress Walk (entrance is off of Yonge and Emwood Ave.)

TTC:

  The North York Civic Centre (in Mel Lastman Square) is located at the
  North York Centre subway stop, one stop North of Sheppard Station.

Afterwards, we will progress to our regular pub (across the street)
around 8:00 - 8:30pm:

  Toby's Good Eats
  416-225-2995
  5095 Yonge Street,