5% or less of the older rams have a bad smell.We don't do any castrating. I butchered hundreds in age 4 to 5 and the only thing important, cut the fat of the meat.I get for older ram hindquarter and back 12.90 a kg , not bad and never had a complain.
Regards Helmut
----- Original Message ----- From: "Diane Wright" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2005 3:34 PM
Subject: Re: [blackbelly] Question about banding ram lambs in later stagesof growth

I've seen PHOTOS of cattle type banders...never have seen one in real life.

My understanding is they use a strip of rubber-band material and the applicator applies a 'staple' sort of thing making the strip a circular band. The band is in essence custom made on the animal as it is applied.

Links to different brands
http://www.nobull.net/bander/SBhowtouse.html
http://www.castrator.com/how_to_castration.htm

I see this second one uses a band, but staples it, custom fitting it as well.

They're pricey!! Lucky you have a friend with one!
I think it'd be better than having the vet cut them. I recently had the vet do a mature ram... he is a good herder, so I wanted to keep him. I drove him to the vet & everything, so that he could have a 'real' surgical type procedure. Not sure what he got, but he was a bloody mess (literally) when I went to pick him up. Seemed no different than the ram I'd had cut at my barn... almost cruel. Maybe I'm insane, but it seems that banding is not as bad as cutting. If I'd had a friend with a cattle bander, I definately would've gone that route.

Your mission is to be the guinea pig stock-owner & tell us how it worked from your vantage point. We're counting on you.
;-)

Diane