To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 9:47 AM
Subject: Re: [blackbelly] Name and breed

At 11:13 AM 8/31/2005 -0400, you wrote:
Color and markings classify mine as ABS. My polled ram is still an ABS though polled and unregisterable as such. If he consistently produces polled offspring he becomes an american BBS.

http://www.sheep101.info/breedsA-B.html#Barbado
http://www.sheep101.info/hair.html

Someone needs to email Susan Shoenian and let her know the photo she's using at http://www.sheep101.info/breedsA-B.html#Barbado to portray an American Blackbelly is of an animal that could not be registered as an American Blackbelly because of the white on his body.

BBSAI's American Blackbelly standard is at http://www.blackbellysheep.org/standards-AB.htm

Just as with any breed of animal, what you call it will be based on your perception. If you are a long-time breeder who has selected and developed bloodlines of excellence, then what you are willing to call an American Blackbelly may be much more rigid than a registry's standards; you look at ancestry and genetics and less on the phenotype. Breeders working only to raising registerable stock will base their definition of what can be called an American Blackbelly only on breed standards and whether the animal can or cannot be registered. If you raise them primarily for pleasure, then your definition will likely be much broader and include traits that are not registerable.

Here is a similar story but about Manx cats, not blackbelly sheep. For years, I have adopted tailless cats from my local animal shelter. There is a breed of tailless cats called Manx, so I refer to my cats as Manx cats. I was at a cat show one year and was talking to one of the breeders who was showing his cats. I mentioned that I had adopted several Manx cats and absolutely loved them. He looked positively askance and told me (with his nose slightly elevated) that I probably had crossbred cats that simply didn't have tails, but I most certainly didn't have MANX cats. I walked away thinking that he was a jerk and that my cats WERE TOO Manx cats and I'd call 'em that despite what he said.

Based on my description of the three types of breeders above, I raise these cats primarily for pleasure and I am the bane of dedicated breeders who work hard to purify their bloodlines so that they breed true. (Manx cats are a genetic mutation; one can breed two Manx cats and get all lengths of tails. Breeders often destroy the longer tailed kittens at birth.) Does that mean I shouldn't call my cats Manx cats? Well, yes and no. It depends. If I was raising kittens to sell, then I probably would not want to imply that they were purebred and, depending on who I was talking to, I might not even want to call them Manx. But if I simply was trying to identify this unusual breed of cat to a visitor in my home, I would call them Manx.

There is room for all three types of breeders of American Blackbelly sheep, and all three types will at some point be a sore spot with each other. Diana, I don't mean to offend, but when you are talking to breeders, I don't think you should be calling your sheep either American Blackbelly OR Barbados Blackbelly. They may look like BB, but they aren't. They may have Mouflon and Rambouillet in them, but they are not American Blackbelly if they don't have horns. You should wait for several generations of sheep in your flock, develop your bloodlines so that they consistently breed whichever sheep you want, and then and only then register them and market them as being whatever breed you chose.

There is less room in the Barbados Blackbelly world for the looser definitions because our sheep are in peril genetically. Barbados Blackbelly are on the brink of being destroyed in the U.S. by careless identification and naming. But regardless of which sheep you raise, you absolutely MUST be up front about its genetics and pedigree if you sell animals to the public. And if the person you are selling to wants to become a truly dedicated breeder, then he has a lot at stake in what you tell him.

Carol