In a message dated 8/31/05 2:42:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< It is, of course, your right to sell your sheep as "Barbie Doll" (oh,
 please...), Barbado, Corsican, or whatever.  But if you are representing
 your sheep as Barbados Blackbelly, or even American Blackbelly, it would
 be a service to the breeds and the purchasers if you could prove it,
 both through pedigree and arduously maintained registry records. >>

Geez, I must have hit some tender spots, Barb.  I have a tendency to say
things outright, I didn't mean to offend the BBSAI or it's members.

I'm simply stating what I see/read regionally.  I'm the one that brought up
the name American Blackbelly sheep not too long ago and voted for it, too.
Back then I asked similar questions.
You'll have to ask somebody else where Corsican comes from.

I'm not against the breed registration requirements that the BBSAI has set.
I think it does help clarify for some buyers what they are looking for.
Polled or horned stock.

I don't however agree when *unregistered* american
BBS/ABS/Corsican/Barbado/Blackbelly owners are told they may no longer call
their sheep ABS/BBS etc.
because they don't meet the defined BBSAI breed standards.
My sheep all come from a long line of American BBS and a BBS ram from
Barbados.  They are "market" sheep, not registered sheep.  They are still
American
BBS.

I don't like being told that I am somehow, unscrupulous if I call my sheep
(American)BBS/ABS/Blackbelly/etc..
If I sell any offspring, the new owner will KNOW what they are purchasing.
As well as my management style.  :-)  Billy is the only one I have registered
with the BBSAI.  He has Horns.

Diana