From: Dayna Denmark [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 5:26 PM
To: blackbelly@lists.blackbellysheep.info
Subject: Re: [blackbelly] GUARD DOGS - HELP

Hi Oneta,
First you have to decide on what type of dog you are looking for- that is a
herding dog or a livestock guardian dog(LGD). Border Collies are herders,
whereas the Pyrenees, Anatolian, Maremma breeds are LGD's. Ideally these
dogs are "aggressive" towards any threat to the livestock(not you, your
kids, the livestock, etc.).You need some level of aggressiveness for them to
be successful guardians.
I have just finished fencing my perimeter property(whew!) and have been
researching LGD's. Not to confuse you but if you can do some research on the
Maremma. Every person I have talked to that has owned a Pyrenees or
Anatolian before getting a Maremma says the same thing- The Maremma has
turned out to be the better LGD.
As soon as the weather gets a little better here I am going for a visit to a
Maremma breeder to see her dogs "in action". Her litter is due sometime in
Feb., and the puppies are born in with the sheep. She told me she keeps the
puppies a while so they get "trained" by their parents to be better
guardians which sounds good to me- they need to bond with livestock to be
good at their job.
Dayna