Would county or state fairs have objections to
"exhibits" that were not competeing?  I noticed at my
county's fair last year that there were no meat
goats-- just dairy breeds. All the sheep were woolies.
One lady had a Scottish Highland cow and her calf
there-- but I believe it was entered as a beef
contender. There is one person who brings Irish
Dexter's-- and has a stand-up display of them working
under yoke.
  Getting a bunch of rare breeds together under one
tent, so to speak, may be a great way to spread the
word about other issues-- to more than just
agricultural people! And if the animals have been
handled so that they are docile (with and without
horns)and "socialized" to the experience, then that is
all the better for ambassadorship.

Terry W