Julia, We also had a ewe who would not allow her lamb to nurse. This was 4-5
years ago. We bottle fed her first lamb and then her second lamb she did
just fine. She has been one of our best ewes, as far as mothering goes since
her first one. Her lamb on the other hand, the one we bottle fed, well, she
didn't know what the heck that thing was when she had her first one. We
learned to bottle feed, but put them in with momma between feedings and at
night. They do much better that way.They interact with other lambs and their
mommas and learn that they are sheep, too. We do not have our sheep (ewes)
in separate pens when they lamb. Sort of the old standard that "only the
strong survive". So far we lose maybe one or two each season. except for
twins and new mothers. Sheep are not the smartest creatures in the world.
The lambs get off with the rest of the lambs and lose mommy and she is of
course, "over yonder" eating some really good grass and is oblivious to the
cries of her baby. Until,..... suddenly she remembers .. oh my goodness, I
have a baby somewhere. Hang in there ... if she was not raised with her
momma ... by that I mean, nursed by her from birth, it may take a time or
two to realize what she is supposed to do with that little thing.
Helen