Things took an unexpected turn on the farm today, as they frequently do!

Had a surprise lamb born this morning; all the other ewes lambed within
a couple days of each other.  I thought this ewe lamb missed, but she
decided to join the baby shower a full 23 days after the last lamb was
born.  That was easy enough to deal with, as I suspected she'd pop last
night and was ready for her.  Once I got her safely jugged, I led the
others out to pasture.

We had a muster planned for the other lambs today to weigh, etc., so I
tramped back up to the paddock they were in midday to send them back
down to the barn.  Here's where things started to go wrong.  One prime
butcher wether, who has another month on grass, decided to rocket past
in the wrong direction.  This was an act of total willfulness!  But
forgiveable as he decided to join the others and head down the e-fence
lane.  However, just as we got to the solidly fenced lane going to the
barn, he cut out and hopped over the e-fence just as neat as a pin.
Like he'd been doing it daily...This was the first deliberate breakout
I've had in two years.  Of course the others had a thought about
joining, but fortunately, headed for the barn instead.  I locked them
in, locked out the escapee and did what needed to be done, leaving the
flock in the barn.  Needless to say, that freaked the escapist, who
gladly joined the others when the gate was opened.

So sorry.  The last thing I need is a smart-aleck wether teaching the
ewes how to jump the fence!  Time for the lambing-to-harvest operation
to come full circle, a month ahead of schedule!  He is keeping the new
mum company while we make some unscheduled preparations for learning how
to dress our own meat.

I recently purchased a "freezer tamer" - a remote device that controls
the temp of the freezer and allows it to maintain a correct cooling
temp.  Got that hooked up, it's amazing!  And Bob is building a frame
for inside the freezer to hang the lamb.  It should be just about right,
with all the shelves taken out.

I've done a heap-o-chickens, but never a lamb.  Watched the pro do it at
least 10 times.  There's a first time for everything I guess.  I was
just hoping to "practice" on a cull ewe or something, not a prime locker
lamb!  Gonna be an interesting day tomorrow!

Barb L.