Living with horses predisposes my stock to tetanus.  Having watched a
horse die of lockjaw, this is not a risk I will take.

This next bit got me heckled off another sheep list, but I'll take a
chance here.  I went through a very difficult period with the sheep
which extensive research revealed to be a trace element imbalance - read
"imbalance" - not necessarily deficiency.  In disastrous proportions.
While I fully agree that chemical props used willy nilly are extremely
detrimental to the gene pool, I would also like to propose that even
highly disease tolerant animals which are fed/pastured on many of our
trace-element-deficient/chemicaled forages, do not have all the immune
system building blocks necessary to live up to their genetic potential.
There's no doubt in my mind that a lot of the state of disrepair that
some breeds/species are in is not so much the lack of genetic immunity,
but the lack of immune-system building blocks.  They are challenged by
deficient/toxic feeds.

To my mind this is the state of things which fuels the pharmaceutical
engine.  We are not putting money into rebuilding our agricultural soils
and thus our health/the health of our animals, we are inventing another
injectable band-aid.

My land is not up to robust health yet, and none of the forages I have
tested from statewide sources give me the confidence that my sheep are
fully up to their genetic immune capabilities.  We are working on it,
but building that kind of health into the soil takes years.  And since
we must buy in hay for the winter, we are out of control of that phase
of our program.  Our time will come, but in the meantime, there are one
or two items that I will vaccinate for.

Regards,
Barb L.