Very good information, thank you.

But:

They seem to
do better on forage that the woolies do not fare well
on.

Working with a few thousand hair sheep in different breeds, and on side a
300 wool sheep in different breeds, no way that the average hair sheep even
would come close to the production of the woolies. What has to do with the
small number of hair sheep which are on the market, genetically too close.

How do you like to compete against a Ile de France, where a Government did
invest many Millions of Dollars to improve, against a St Croix, where no
money has been invested ?
St Croix on our ranch do not survive under normal management more than a 5
months, or I have to use medicamentation.But steady I read article of
farmers with small and well protected flocks, how parasite resistant those
sheep are.And that is not true once the flock is crowed and under stress.
And about hot climate?Mexico imported large numbers of Ile de Franc, and
they do in hot climate extreme well.
And Mexico imported more than a 100 000 hair sheep, of very resistant type.
I see Mexico producing lamb for US in large scale very soon.High quality
wool/hair hybrid lambs.

The Mexicans invest in meat production, and that's where we don't look at
enough.
About ..."Big
> Brother" but there are some things we just cannot try
> to get under the radar with..

most of the large Texas sheep breeders wrote me, that they have been forced
in the scrapie program. I have seen one thing in my live, where ever the
public did adapt too much to the government orders, country in short time in
dept.
See Germany , as example, always head down and they do what the Government
is telling them.No money in the country.
Switzerland? One the Government did artificial bring the price for butter
up, the Swiss did not eat butter for a year.After that the Government gave
up and butter was even cheaper than before.
Strong democratie works with commonsense and does not accept money vaste.
Regards Helmut