Rams that share a fence, especially if there are ewes on either side of the
fence, will demolish a fence. Having their own gals isn't sufficient. Each
ram wants ALL the gals. I create a "neutral zone" of at least 25-50 feet
when I am forced to put ewes and rams within visual range of each other.
The ewes can be as obnoxious about getting to a ram as the other way around.

After breeding, yes you can put all the ewes back together again, but you
will want to avoid their sharing a fence with the rams. Rams are a royal
pain in the butt. It is why so many people dry lot their rams, and often
don't give them more than a tiny pen to live in. That is a horrible way to
treat any animal, but there are times when I certainly can see why it would
be tempting.

Carol

At 11:56 AM 7/26/2006 -0600, you wrote:
>If I did decide
>to separate them and had rams on each side (with their own gals) am I
>going to have a problem with fence fighting? They would share the same
>fence line- one pasture is about 2 acres and the other only about 1/2
>acre. Once the mature ewes are serviced can I put them all in one
>pasture again? I know some has to do with the personality of the rams
>in question--- but as a general idea?

Carol Elkins
Critterhaven--Registered Barbados Blackbelly Hair Sheep
(no shear, no dock, no fuss)
Pueblo, Colorado
http://www.critterhaven.biz
T-shirts, mugs, caps, and more at the