Quite frankly, I wouldn't knowingly/willingly expose my critters to any type of
preservative or sealant-- especially if they could potentially ingest it--
Linseed oil-- NOT Denatured or chemically "boiled" would be fine-- one would
have to find pure, unadulterated linseed oil-- Flax is another name for
linseed--- and boil it yourself...

Terry