I've been waffling around with winter bedding strategies for my sheep
stall for a couple of years now.  I've used a deep bedding system, but
without tractor access, mucking out in spring is a soul destroying
project. All that long straw locks together and has to be broken up in
chunks with a mattock before a fork will lift it out.

I seem to have hit on a pretty good tactic.  I've discovered I can mulch
the old hay I use for bedding with my 18 horse Sears riding mower.  I
line up the tractor with the stall door and semi-fluff a couple of
flakes of hay behind the mower in a swath as wide as the rear tires.
Then I back over it with the blades engaged.  Wallah.  Nice chopped hay
gets shot up in a pile against the far wall.  It took me about 15
minutes to mulch a 65 lb bale of hay today.  It would have taken less
time, but I had to figure out that if the rear tires don't roll over the
hay to hold it down, the machine will just push it backward.  Can't
drive forward over it, either.  Then it's just a matter of raking it
out.  The sheep pull enough of their hay out of the rack to keep adding
to the bedding, but it's the compacted stuff on the bottom that is
impossible to muck out.  The stuff they add to the top layer stays nice
and dry.  I figure they'll be good for at least a couple weeks on a
stall stripping, and I won't have the backbreaking work of breaking up
the bedding pack in spring.

Hubby wrapped the barn's water heater in an insulation blanket for me
and adjusted the temp so that the water comes out deliciously tepid.
Jeez, I stuck my hand in 40 degree water to scrub the water buckets and
almost suffered pain!  No wonder horses are so prone to
water-intake-related colic in winter!  So all the outside water systems
got disconnected today and the sheepies and horses will all get a shot
at some nice warm water twice a day.

Hope everyone's staying warm and dry.  We are toppling rainfall records
here in W. Oregon.

Regards,
Barb Lee
Blacklocust Farm