-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of The
Wintermutes
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2006 12:30 PM
To: blackbelly@lists.blackbellysheep.info
Subject: [blackbelly] Poor Bailey

Hi Oneta,

Lambs have exceptional healing abilities but you must decide if you are
up
to the task of doctoring for a couple of months.

Banamine 50mg/ml 1cc intermuscle injection is great for anti-inflamatory
pain relief.

Dexamethasone 2mg/ml .5cc to 2cc intermuscle injection is great for
anti-inflamatory pain relief.  It basically is a steroid.  Dexamethasone
will lower resistance to infection so should only be used for initial
treatment.  Dexamethasone is also used to help induce labor in pregnant
ewes
so be careful.  Dexamethasone is also helpful for speeding up lung
development in fetuses.  This is helpful if you suspect a ewe is going
deliver prematurely.

Aspirin can be used but be careful about bleeding wounds since it thins
the
blood.

Clean the wound daily with hydrogen peroxide expressing any puss.  Once
it
is clean cover the wound lightly with penicillin G procaine and bandage.
Keep the wound covered as much as possible.

Don't let the lamb just lie around.  Encourage the lamb to walk and lay
upright (not on his side).

My boxer/heeler dogs have done the same thing.  Although the dogs
overreacted the lamb had it coming.  The lamb kept coming up to the dogs
and
butting them.  The dogs put up with it for quite some time knowing they
would get in trouble if they retaliated.  But....

Good luck,

Mark Wintermute