The little eBay unit - a new one, BTW, was $30.99.  I actually lost the
bid but got a "second chance" from the seller, "National Industrial
Supply".  They have many instruments on eBay and gave perfect service.
We are ALL going to be looking at economizing our operations when the
full impact of biodiesel production kicks in.  The millions of acres
that will be required to provide corn for all the existing plants and
those on the drawing board, are staggering.  You won't be able to buy
livestock corn for gold bricks.  Anybody who wants to stay in the
livestock business might want to get on board the grass farming wagon.
The farm with high quality pasture land may be the food producer of the
future.  We all need to learn how to create the high energy pastures
that can produce meat and milk on grass alone.

Creating those high energy pastures is a long, slow haul when one is
starting with poor soil, like we are.  One of the interesting facts in
the article was foliar feeding of the grass plants.  The leaves have
quite an astounding capacity to assimilate nutrients sprayed onto them,
more so than roots I think.  The Brix reading is not just related to
sugar, it also includes minerals.  You'd have to test the forage to see
what is deficient, but then you can spray those minerals on and the
plant will have quite a different Brix reading within 5 days or so.  I
am going to try spraying the pastures with kelp extract this year.

This thing is FUN!  I tested some fescue that's growing out by the
compost pile and it had a Brix reading of about 5.  A dandelion leaf
read about 2!!!  Some grape juice we pressed this summer was off the
chart - over 32 - with a premium rating of around 20 something.  I had
to dilute it 50/50 with water to get that!  LOL!

Barb