I looked at that slideshow-- and I ask

 Where is the WINTER COAT? Otherwise, the  surviving sheep seemed to be in
"good weight"

 I have seen sick, very worm infested woollies-- and they were considered
"okay" by local officials.

 These "starving" sheep in the slideshow just appeared to  be lacking a winter
coat like those our more acclimated animals grow.  If these sheep were
recent;ly  moved, they may actually need a year or two for their coats to "get
with the program"  Add to that, the unexpected harshness of the weather-- yes,
maybe the animals more likely died of exposure issues rather than starvation-
Even the dead carcasses were very "meaty"-- too meaty to have been laying
around for any length of time. I would think, with the numbers involved, that
the owner was caught unprepared for winter winds, perhaps combined with an
unexpected parasite load-- A neighbor of mine lost 48 sheep last spring-
Coccidiosis- suddenly  and with no warning.  If his animals had not had access
to sufficiant shelter, they  would have had to  deal with sudden temperature
extremes at the time, as well.

We can't just believe everything the media and the supposed 'experts' are
saying. Many people think dairy cattle are starving if their hip bones show,
when in reality, it just proves they are 'working' for a living. Beef catttle,
on the other hand, HAVE to have a round topline- it shows they are producing
the muscle needed to be beef!