I found a very recent article in which the author shows very convincing evidence
that scrapie may intitially be the result of a virus. There are also new strains
emerging which have been shown to infect the most resistant genotypes.  I am
concerned that limiting the genepools to only the most resistant strains may
eventually lead to the demise of the rare breeds such as the polled variety.

Here is the reference for the article:
Journal of Cellular Biochemistry 100:897-915 (2007)

If you can't access the article let me know and I can e-mail it to you.

Cathleen Cover