Stephanie,

Most of my ewes get bred this first time around 5 to 6 months. I have known of
one to get bred at 4 months and she did fine. She  may have been behind the
others as far as size is concerned for a couple of years,  but nothing to worry
about. IMO, ewes that get bred from 4 to 6 months may take a little longer to
get there, but they will eventually reach their genetic potential in size. Most
are going to have singles anyway. No big deal.

Cows, in comparison, are so much more domesticated that they HAVE to have human
intervention. Due to a cow's size their joints have to be taken into
consideration when talking about breeding age. Survival of the fittest is a
losing proposition in cattle. It might be the same for ewelambs if they were
always getting pregnant with triplets at 4 months old, but I don't know of that
happening. Nature would likely weed those genes out anyway.

For the last couple of  years I have only had one "sire" (adult ram). Ideally I
would prefer to have several choice rams to fight it out, but I have more
buyers than rams lately. In years past though, that is exactly what I did.
Several of the "picks" got to decide who would do the breeding and once it was
decided, THAT ram did ALL the breeding as far as I could tell.  That ram would
always be the one with the ewes off to the side. It was obvious who the boss
was just in the way they interacted.

As far as raising rams together, my experience has been they get along great
and only have very minor skirmishes when ewes come in heat. The biggest problem
is usually the younger rams(6 months to a year) trying to steal a breeding.
They can be a pest sometimes.  A lot depends on the personality of the "boss"
though.  Some rams seem to command more respect than others. I have had some
rams that spent about half their time chasing off the youngsters and others
that never had to.
I haven't really figured that one out yet.

Chris B.