My blackbellies make this guttral sound when they have a new lamb and are cleaning it up...
Cecil in OKla

Carla Amonson wrote:

 I have found in our flock that the Barbs do not make any noises except when
they have lambs-they call their babies, and both holler of they are separated.
After weaning it is all quiet again.  But, even when they do talk, they are
nothing like a wool sheep.  We can always hear the father-in-laws sheep and he
is a half mile away from us through the bush.
My Soay are the same, but they make an additional noise that I have not heard
in the Barbs.  They make a gutteral crooning sound to their babies that is
really sweet I find-like they are purring to them when they are concerned but
not overly stressed.  Maybe someone else can comment if they Barbs do this?
Carla