From: Carol Elkins <celk...@critterhaven.biz>
To: blackbelly@lists.blackbellysheep.info
Sent: Mon, August 2, 2010 10:10:31 PM
Subject: Re: [Blackbelly] Help: Need info on bottle feeding

Tom, do everything you possibly can to milk colostrum from the ewe. Put her in
stanchion to hold her still. You may not get a lot, but every bit is important.
Measure what you do get and divide it into two parts, one for each lamb. Do
this
as often as you can to get as much colostrum as you can from her. If she has
any
milk in her bag, you might try letting the lambs nurse. I stanchioned a ewe
three times a day for 3 weeks and she finally accepted the lamb. (I bottle fed
him to supplement what he was getting from the ewe.)

Read the article I wrote about Raising Bummer Lambs on a Bottle at
http://critterhaven.biz/info/articles/bummer_lamb.htm It contains a recipe for
newborn milk formula to use if you have no colostrum. It also provides a
schedule and a formula for feeding amounts. Cecil will caution you to not feed
as much as the article recommends per feeding and I agree; but it is a place to
start.

Carol

At 09:58 PM 8/2/2010, you wrote:
> I dont have any colostrum.  All of this happened after the feed stores were
> closed.
> I can probably find some tomowrrow-- or is that too late?

Carol Elkins
Critterhaven--Registered Barbados Blackbelly Hair Sheep
(no shear, no dock, no fuss)
Pueblo, Colorado
http://www.critterhaven.biz