This may be of interest to those of you who report your farm as an agriculture business at tax time:

I don't know how many of you have heard about the new provision that was buried in the Obamacare package that will require all small businesses (including LLCs, sole proprietors, farms, and ranches) who pay more than $600 annually to any goods or service provider to file a 1099 report. Under the new law, we will be required to file a 1099 on the supplies we buy at Staples and the feed store; the computer we buy at Dell; and and any other goods that we purchase from a vendor in excess of $600 annually.

You can learn more about the law at http://www.nsba.biz/docs/1099_reporting_requirement_issue_brief.pdf And you can Google [section 9006 "Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act"] The act goes into effect in 2012.

This morning, I attended a teleconference hosted by the National Small Business Association and they have provided a place on their Web site where you can send a letter urging your state representative to support a measure that would repeal this expanded 1099 reporting requirement. If you would like to voice your opinion about this new law, you can use the form at http://www.capwiz.com/nsbaonline/issues/alert/?alertid=15510536

Here is what the Sheep Industry Association reported in their newsletter today:

Repeal New 1099 Requirements

The American Sheep Industry Association (ASI) joined 27 other national and state agricultural organizations requesting a repeal of the new IRS Form 1099 information return filing requirements.

Farms, ranches and related agribusinesses already are overburdened with tax paperwork and reporting requirements. Under existing law, a Form 1099 must be issued to unincorporated service providers that are paid more than $600 during a tax year.

Under new reporting rules set to start in 2012, Form 1099s will be required for payments to incorporated vendors and will be expanded to cover payments made for goods as well as services. Virtually all business-to-business tractions will be covered, creating a new major paperwork burden for the farms, ranches and related agri-businesses.

The business of producing food, fiber and fuel is a hands-on venture where productivity and competiveness is compromised by government rules and regulations that turn producers into bookkeepers. Prompt action is needed by Congress to reverse this onerous tax-reporting requirement.

Carol