we only have 4 acres, probably only 3 are fenced and of that maybe 1
to 1-1/2 grow decent pasture-grass/hay. I do encourage it's natural
growth (rather than plowing it under or mowing it down) and have
graduated from a dilapidated Troy-built push sickle with powered
wheels (the 4' tall grass catches on each side and clogs the wheels),
to cutting the Troy-built apart and trying to mount it on the front of
my Exmark lawnmower (even worse clogging and crazy heavy), to
this--which will do all it's cutting on the side....

http://mwsmith.smugmug.com/Hobbies/MowerZilla2/17256321_XrrV5F/1346471564_fgcRR3z/1346472023_zTg93jQ#1310060155_bJSnjBP

I do intend to reinforce the top of the deck and cut the mower
side-skirts off, so I can drive over grass piles.

Enjoy the Rube Goldberg pictures....

-Michael, Perino Ranch Blackbellies.

P.S. in case you're wondering, it's not even worth the price of hay
trying to get someone in there with a full-sized swather, much less
the fact my gates won't open that far.

P.S.S. and no-- the amount of time and energy that goes into this is
not really worth the price of hay. I just want to win this battle over
being able to harvest my own grass.  And the amount I can generate is
just enough for the winter for 18 small ruminants.