I've had several solutions over time. In Southern CA I locked them up at
night in a pen that was six foot chainlink kennel with a roof and a
floor. I had 2 losses to cougar over 5 years.

In Oregon, I had one location where the sheep ran with a herd of Fell
Ponies. No losses. One day the pony owner put a group of sheep in
another pasture to work on some blackberries, and some were lost. Fish
and Wildlife had a leg trap out at the request of a neighbor and there
were one or two catches. Leg traps are nasty and should be illegal.
Traps are set out for a period of time to blend in with the smell of the
environment prior to being set for capture. I do not like this option.

Now in Montana, I got two Llamas and a Guardian Dog. I do not have
coyote on the property. I have bear and cougar. Looking forward to
returning to Oregon. Then I will be dealing with coyote again. Locking
up at night is a strong solution, but not all predators are about at
night only.

to all,
can anyone suggest the best way to protect my sheep from coyotes?
i work the late shift and the last two morning when i get home i find a
dead sheep.
i have field fence as a barrier. spent a few hours thursday making
certain no holes or spots the coyotes might squeeze through.
i have three donkeys. (useless) -free to a good home.

any suggestions is much appreciated.
stewart