Everybody,

I think the supplements are doing a good thing, certainly not hurting my sheep. At least in my flock. Here's what happened at my farm:

I lost 5 lambs all at the same time to white muscle disease (selenium/vitamin E deficiency) several years ago. They were from my spring lamb crop, and were about 4 - 5 months old when they died. They were weaned and had been doing fine prior to their illness and death. This was during early summer. I had a necropsy done, and white muscle disease was the official diagnosis. The vet recommended Bo-Se shots for all my lambs, since Illinois soils are deficient in selenium. I have been giving a Bo-Se shot to each lamb ever since then, and have never had this problem again.

During the five or six years since then, I have only lost one weaned lamb. It suffered bloat at about 6 months of age, and though we saved it from that immediate crisis, it was never the same, and eventually died at about 10 months of age in spite of my efforts to save it. I had no indication that this lamb death was in any way related to toxicity.

I guess what I'm saying is, I surely don't dispute what others have brought up, but in my selenium-deficient soil area, the Bo-Se shots have been a wonderful step in the right direction to get these lambs "kick-started" to good levels of selenium in their systems. And most importantly, I am simply not seeing lamb deaths at all. Of course, I am also closely monitoring for parasite load, and I think that also lends to my good results.

For my flock as a whole, I feed (free choice) a 50-lb. white salt block as well as a 50-lb. sheep mineral block (product is the Moorman's AU625 block, now manufactured by ADM, costs about $22 per block). I think the presence of a white salt block as well as the mineral block keeps the sheep from ingesting too much sheep mineral when all they really want is salt. Works for me, and I've never had a problem with this.

The theory according to the vet after the necropsy was done, was that (hypothetically) the little lambs were not able to get enough selenium (through the mineral block supplement) into their systems at that early age to counteract the building deficiency in their young systems due to the selenium-deficient soils. So the one-time Bo-Se injection gives them the start they need, and (hopefully) as they get older, they rely on the mineral blocks to give them the supplements they need.

I would also like to add that a good friend of mine, Barb Lee in Oregon, had quite a time several years ago deciding whether the poor performance in her AB flock was due to deficiencies of certain minerals. She examined copper toxicity, selenium deficiency, and even the possibility of copper deficiency, as well as other chemical imbalances in the nutrients her flock was getting. Her postings to this Blackbelly Listserve were quite intriguing. You can read them (I think) by searching the archived posts to this group.

Mary Swindell