my girls do it frequently trying to figure out who is the dominate ewe of the flock. Also they get frisky before it storms alot of the time. Weather changes really stir them up if its drastic. Like today its 65 here in Missouri and by wednesday the high is only going to be 27. Quite a change and they know it. The warmth though has them feeling good and running around playing like lambs fat or not . Just a shorter run if fat! I lost my pet bottle girl to what I think was milk feaver today. Not sure though I have never seen it or had it before. She seemed fine yesterday eating alot etc but this morning down and gone within a couple of hours of finding her. She had had twins saturday morning. Now I have twins a boy and a girl. "Jack & Jill". Good luck with your girls. Nancy mossyspringsranch

Quoting Natasha <meadowskuv...@gmail.com>:
Hi All,

Natasha here, in the Great White North, where it is finally cold like
a regular winter!  I wrote in the last while wondering what signs to
look for when you have an expecting ewe...still no babies, but since
someone suggested that the ewe may stand alone Dixie has been doing
that ever since! Big fat sigh -  I think she must have been reading my
email.  I'm sure she'll go as I feel she looks pretty big and acting
quite matronly.  Today, however, there's been "trouble".  It has been
like an MMA wrestling match with a head-butting-free-for-all!  Ewes
are mounting ewes, heads are cracking, ears are back, nostrils flared,
and everyone is acting a little insane.  Perhaps this is normal?  I've
not been in it long enough to know.  The two pregnant (fingers
crossed) Katahdin ewes were going at it big time with their 9-10
months old ewe lambs joining in the fracas with head butting and
mounting.  Is this a hormonal thing?  I pulled the ram lamb (hopefully
potent fella) the first of January and he is nearby.  Might the girls
be in heat and not know what to do with themselves?  I thought maybe
there was a foreign animal in their pen as I saw them all running in a
tight circle, one of the dogs was barking but not the whole crew.  To
top off the strange behaviour some lunatic fired off a shot very close
to me!  I was quite freaked out by the gut shot and felt very
vulnerable standing amidst my ewes.  What the heck??  In any event,
with the ewes acting feisty and all - should I expect lambing to occur
anytime soon?  Should I make anything out of their behaviour or is
this just what they do?

Thanks,

Natasha