Hi Natasha,

I'm pretty new with lambing also.  This year was so much better for me.  I kept
track of the days my ewes went i with the rams.  I calculated the dates when
they could start giving birth.  I have found that once they start filling up
with milk it is between one and two weeks until they give birth.

Do you bring your ewes into an enclosed or smaller paddock when they are going
to give birth?  I bring my ewes into a smaller paddock (half of my back yard)
where I can keep a closer eye on them.  I am like you, I am waiting with total
excitement, I can't wait for the births and I have been lucky enough to have
seen most of them being born.

This year, I saw twins by cesarian (a first--mama developed toxemia), another
set of twins naturally, and then my very first pure-bred American Blackbelly (I
didn't see), when I thought mama still had a while, I went inside at 10:00 to
do something for an hour and when I went back out, I heard her making the (pig)
sounds they make to their babies and I knew she had that baby when I went
inside.  Darn!

Have a camera ready!

Nancy L. Johnson
imgr8a...@comcast.net