I am very glad to hear you succeeded in your catch quest.  I have a small farm,
only 22 sheep at the moment, they all know their names and come running when I
call, but after I catch the first one, the others are wise and won't be caught.

I feel compelled to tell you about a recent trip I took and what I learned.  I
have just returned from a trip to Mary Swindell's farm in Illinois, where I
learned more in the two hours she spent with me, than I have learned on my own
since I got my first lamb in 2005.

When it comes to catching lambs and sheep, I have been there and done that.  I
have chased, roped, grabbed, jumped and dove to try and catch sheep.  There is
a much less stressful way for both shepherd and sheep!!!!

Please read the article Mary wrote in the BBSAI newsletter that just came out.
She explains how to get your sheep into a pen without a herding dog and I know
for a fact that this method will work if you work it.  You need to work it
calmly and with patience.

A herding dog can make your life as stress free as it could get with sheep.  I
have attended the MD Sheep and Wool festival every May since 2007 and I have
been the American and Barbados Blackbelly breed exhibitor at the festival for 3
years now and I have yet to attend a live herding demonstration.  At Mary's
farm I witnessed what my life could be like with a herding dog.  Let me tell
you, I was absolutely amazed at how Mary and Katie (border collie) work
together.  Together, they  rounded up Mary's some 20-25 rams into a small area
at one end of an existing large paddock and their presence allowed Mary to show
me her individual rams for some 10-15 minutes.

Afterwards, we went to the nursing ewes and weaned lambs who were out in a very
large paddock.  Together, within 3 minutes, they brought all of the sheep into
a smaller area for us to see and again, they hung in one section of the area
for Mary to show them to us.

As soon as we got back into our truck, my husband said to me "so, when are we
getting a border collie"?  It's a very good idea.  I'm sure that I will need
lots of training, but my thoughts as I begin my breeding business, I will
definitely need a herding dog in the future!.  Food for thought for even the
smallest farm.