Carol,
Peggy is right. With crutches, you must constantly have both hands engaged to hold up the crutches and walk on them. However a walker with wheels and a little basked on front is much better. You can use your hands to help advance the walker, and then just set it down. It will stand up by itself, and you can lean against it somewhat while doing stuff with both your hands.

Mary Swindell