I would add a supplement rich in vitamin H and follow with a good worming with safegaurd or panacur.

Cecil in oKla

On 11/18/2012 4:28 PM, Mary Swindell wrote:
Hello breeder friends,

As Registrar of the BBSAI, I answer questions from those who write in to the BBSAI web site at www.blackbellysheep.org. This week someone wrote in (below) with a question about sheep horn health, which I do not know much about. Can any of you help with advice to this person? I will keep this person's name private, but I will tell her that I have sought information from a group of knowledgeable blackbelly breeders. Thank you for any advice and suggestions you can offer. Please reply either to this listserve, or to me privately. I will forward all your responses to this person. Her question is included below.

Sincerely,
Mary Swindell
Registrar, BBSAI

To: i...@blackbellysheep.org
Subject: Website Request for Information about BBSAI
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 09:56:16 -0800 (PST)

Comment: My father has 5 blackbelly sheep. All Rams of various ages. He purchased them to keep all weeds and vegetation down for fire prevention. They used to have horses and Boer goats for that purpose on his 10 acres. Dad is getting older and the responsibility for their care has fallen upon me.I have been doing some research regarding blackbellies. I believe they have adequate food in the pasture and he has supplied them with a salt block that was reccomended as well as whole corn in the winter. My question is that recently the sheep have taken to excessively rubbing their horns on trees. They have always done this but lately it has been extreme. The base of their horns look dry with some cracking. The horns themselves look dry. Just yesterday I noticed one ram had broken off aprox 5" off the tip of his horn. I am researching as much as possible. I didnt like the breeder as these sheep were in poor shape when dad purchased them. Is this normal for rams at this time of year? We live in northern california aprox 80 from OR border. Good land with lots of natural growth. I would appreciate any help. Thank you.