Hi John,

Yep, I have a pretty strong opine about the SFCP and it isn't good. But let me ask you this: what advantage has being certified scrapie-free brought you? The only advantage I can see is if you plan to export sheep and the receiving country requires sheep to be certified. To my knowledge, no one in the U.S. exports blackbelly sheep to anywhere other than Canada. Canada requires only that the breeder have his animals scrapie tagged and vet inspected. There has been no reported case of scrapie in hair sheep.

Why do you feel that being certified is better than simply complying with the USDA's mandatory scrapie eradication program (getting a premise ID and tagging sheep that leave your farm)?

Carol