Well, I tried just one and he was lonely all the time. Calling to me and
banging on fences. I thought that was way more cruel than dying at the hand of
another ram. Can't keep him with the ewes, I'd have lambs all the time, and
they'd all have the same father. So I then had two rams together. They sure
enjoyed each other's company. But, it's a pecking order thing. Half the time
they move from one pasture another, and have to re-establish pecking with a few
hard butts on a daily basis. So, two would at least fight some times.

Some of the other more experience sheep herders can chime in on this one, I'm
sure.

Now that I have 5 total, again, they enjoy each other's company and fight very
little, overall.  My
last round of lambs was 5 rams, no ewes! I did wether 3 of them, only kept 2.

I hope I did not alarm folks too much, but the video was more to show an
opportunity I don't often get a chance to get close to and shoot very well.  I
mean the light was good and I was right on top of them. Happened to be mowing
and saw the action, dropped everything and ran over with my phone.

As for horns, since they are not for sale, the only value is to me. And I do
love their horn growth. I have also found, knowing their parents, that parents
don't always dictate how the horns will come out, so it's still a crapshoot.
Marley has magnificent horns. Ziggy, his son, has the weakest, even after
several years. The two 3-year olds passed his amount of curl after only 2 years
or so.

My main criteria as far as value for breeding was decided in favor of Harpo,
who has good (but small and tightly curled) horns, good parents, but the best
mane and hair of all of them. He looks like a rock star. Also has a trait of a
black teardrop by the edge of each eye that not all my sheep have. I am trying
to encourage that trait, since I like the looks of it.

-Michael, Perino Ranch Blackbellies

Sent from my iPad