I try the CVS version of blackbox once in a while to see how it works and how it's changing. I know that always on top has been implemented and works fine if you right-click the titlebar for a window and select it. However, what about applications, such as xmms, that provide an 'always on top' preference that you can toggle on/off to indicate that the app should be always on top from the instant you start it? For xmms at least it doesn't appear that such an option works correctly.

As something that may be related it also looks as though a window can't be set to 'alway on top' if the window decorations are hidden. For example, if you open xmms and in the Preferences->Options set 'Do not hide window manager decorations' to on, you can then right-click the title-bar and set the 'always on top' flag. When you do that, it works great, xmms is always visible. However if you later set the to off again and the decorations go away, xmms looses it's 'always on top' status and returns to normal.

My real question though is: Is this a problem with blackbox, or xmms, or perhaps a combination of both?

Note that xmms is just an example of an application that does this. My reason behind the inquery is that I have a GTK+ app and I would like to be able to set the 'Always on top' flag from the instance the program starts, and at the same time I want the window manager decorations to be hidden.

--
Keith Maika
http://kicken.mine.nu:8008/ - Personal Site.