On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 09:21:36AM -0500, Chris Grossmann wrote:
> Hey all.
>
> I use gkrellm, with a medium handful of applications.
> Whenever I switch workspaces, I see that the whole gkrellm
> interface flashes gray, and is completely redrawn.  When my
> CPU is heavily loaded (e.g. VMWare reboot), it takes a
> little while (seconds?) for the full gkrellm app to come
> back: I'm left with just a gray strip.
>
> It doesn't seem like the whole gkrellm application needs to
> be redrawn every time I switch workspaces, especially since
> it lives on all of them.
>
> Is this a gkrellm issue, or a blackbox issue?  Does blackbox
> not "know" that gkrellm lives on all of the workspaces?

Hi.

I too use gkrellm, and I've found that the best way to run this
wonderful little program is to invoke it like 'gkrellm -w'. Executing
the program with the '-w' flag will place gkrellm into the slit. On my
slow machine the redraw when switching between workspaces is basically
instantaneous.

When running gkrellm without the '-w' flag, it was very likely that
gkrellm would not run correctly, and I'd get this grey window where
there should be a gkrellm interface. It was like gkrellm never got to
the point it started drawing its stuff on the screen. Running gkrellm in
the slit with the '-w' flag has solved this problem for me - no more
mysterious grey windows, and normal display and updating of gkrellm.

Art Haas

-Thomas Jefferson to James Smith, 1822