Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper wrote:
On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 23:05, Steven Kah Hien Wong wrote:
On Debian Testing, and GCC v3.3 I suspect, you will get a link error
when trying to compile Blackbox.

I've tracked down similar link errors on Google:

   http://lists.debian.org/debian-gcc/2004/08/msg00271.html

   I'm getting some unresolved symbols when trying to compile C++
   programs using specific char_traits.

   In function `std::basic_string<TestType, std::char_traits<TestType>,
   std::allocator<TestType> >::assign(TestType const*)': : undefined
   reference to `std::char_traits<TestType>::length(TestType const*)'

   As far as I have looked, the char_traits are correctly _declared_
   for every template, but the member functions of the struct are
   defined only when using 'char' or 'wchar_t' as template type.

   Again, this bug has been fixed in the new version of the libstdc++
   (version 6 provided with g++-3.4), and making an adapted copy-paste
   of the 'char_traits.h' file should be an acceptable solution (works
   fine for me).

Except for blackbox the undefined reference is a basic_string::assign()
function. Seems like a GCC problem to me. I just compiled it with
CXX=g++-3.4, and it works.

But I thought it would be worth mentioning, incase some other Debian
users run into this problem.

... or fedora core 2 users....

... or SuSE 8.2/9.1 users (gcc 3.3 and gcc 3.3.3)...

Could anyone explain above mentioned workaround? "making an adapted copy-paste of the 'char_traits.h' file" seems rather vague to me.

markus