On Sunday 05 June 2005 05:51, Keith Maika wrote:
> Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper wrote:
[snip]

> I just updated from CVS and have tried it a bit (only like 10 minutes or
> so) but it seems to be working just fine.  I'll let you know if I have
> any further problems.  I finally figured out how to bind actions to the
> windows key, which is nice :)

Ahh, yes. =:)

> BTW, Any idea if/when bbkeys will be able to show the root menu.  I know
> it's been brought up before, and if I remember right the thing was that
> blackbox didn't have the fuctionality for it.  Just wondering if there's
> been anything new, or if it's still the same.

Yes, the problem is that neither the ICCCM nor the EWMH specifications for
window-manager/client communications provide a standard way for this behavior
to happen.  KDE provides this behavior, but it's via DCOP call (dcop kicker
kicker popupKMenu 0).

I would LOVE to put this behavior into bbkeys, but this would likely take the
form of faking mouse button-press/release events between bbkeys and the root
window, instead of using the standard Atom-based communications that are used
for everything else.  I would absolutely accept patches for review for this,
if anyone is able to work on it.

But to answer your question, there's nothing new on it.  Nyz was discussing
adding a special blackbox-only Atom for this but he's not, I don't believe,
and honestly I'm not sure he should, since that would be just that--a
blackbox-only communication that no other window manager would understand.

Thanks for the reply!!  =:)

--

 `
 ,