On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 13:56:23 -0500 "Larson, Timothy E."
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> OK, I get it.  Without knowing that, I assumed that "frame" would be
> around the three major elements of your first diagram.  I guess I
> thought that's how X worked, by reparenting windows in other windows to
> group them into one "window".  I don't know how the three elements
> become one window without that, and if that is indeed happening after
> all, why we can't style the overall window.

X doesn't particularly care about window decorations. It will honor them
but not impose or describe them. It's the window manager's job to do that.
The thing that's essential is the innner rectangle where the application
actually "lives". Try setting up a bbkeys combo to toggle decorations
off a window and see what's left. Adding anything other than that is up to
Blackbox and Brad has chosen to add a top and a bottom bar and a thin
frame. Other managers do it differently.

Changing this for purely aesthetical reasons won't fly. There are
performance issues at stake, first and foremost, since this design has
been chosen to be light and fast. There are also ergonomical issues and
the current design has proven very successful in this respect. Actually,
adding a "full" frame may do more harm than good, since Blackbox users
have come to expect to be able to right-click the left/right edge of a
maximized window to hit the frame and obtain the main Blackbox menu. Not
to mention changing the styles in major ways and losing backwards
compatibility and so on.

> > Here are a few choices:
> > * The Artwiz fonts, if they match your style's feel.
> > http://x2.zuavra.net/index.php/58/
>
> Are there screenshots somewhere?

That page has a link to a website at the bottom, see there. Also try
Google Images.

> I found 13 fonts that were common across the three boxes I happen to
> have access to (and have X installed) at the moment.  Since I have not
> installed any additional fonts, I'll assume for now that these are my
> choices.

What are those 13, out of curiosity? Most Linux boxes probably have some
form of Arial, Helvetica or Courier, aside from the required default
fonts, but it's anybody's guess how they will look. Also consider whether
the recipient of a style has AA activated or not, hinting activated or not
and so on. Some fonts produce nasty suprises in different circumstances.
The Artwiz fonts -- and I think the fixed font too -- are bitmap fonts so
they're not subject to much rendering variance.

--
Ciprian Popovici