I just discovered something cool about blackbox.

If you have xscreensaver installed, then you can put this in a style file:

rootCommand:                    /usr/X11R6/libexec/xscreensaver/flag -root &

and have it run as your background.  I suppose you could put any program there.

I haven't discovered how to make blackbox stop it when I change styles.  I
suppose I could make a shell script that captures the process number when I
start another active background and kills the previous active background.