On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Eric Hanson wrote:

> "Gregory J. Barlow" wrote:
> > Those of you who want to combine all the helper applications into blackbox
> > need to examine why you are using blackbox at all.  You aren't saving any
> > resources when you run all that junk.  You would be better off running
> > sawfish with a blackbox theme.
>
> Have you run sawfish ever?  There is no way you could emulate the
> resource waste with blackbox.  Simply by compiling the code instead of
> having a running list interpreter (which is what sawfish does) saves
> several multipliers of resources.
> I don't think everyone is advocating *all* little apps be absorbed,
> simply that there is some core functionality missing from blackbox.  If
> blackbox is going to handle any key bindings, it should handle all of
> them.  If you don't like keybindings, don't use 'em (an option to turn
> them off might make people happy, but without a config file, why
> bother?).  But it won't hurt you to have them in will it?  Really, you
> might want to think about why you apose it, not just say 'feature creep'
> and 'bloat'.

This turned into a flamefest long ago, so I decided I too would practice
the fine art of exageration.  I have run sawfish, and I wish half the
blackbox users who want tons of new features would go use it.  Its not
that much slower, but it has a completely different philosophy, one those
begging for features are more in line with.  The biggest reason I want the
bare minimum of keybindings in blackbox proper is simple: bbkeys in an
inconvenience for me.  I like the normal key bindings, but I don't like to
expend nearly as much memory as blackbox proper to get them.  Also, I use
lots of different machines, some on a large network.  Having a custom
configured xinitrc/xsession for all those machines is an exercise in
futility.  It would be best for me if I could get the two most common key
bindings by default, and then if I wanted more, I could use bbkeys. (For
those who downloaded it earlier, the current iteration of my patch almost
does this, though I still have a few things to tweak with the
configuration stuff)

--
Gregory J. Barlow       http://barlow.ncssm.net
NCSSM 99                [EMAIL PROTECTED]