On 13-Jan-2002 Anh Lai wrote:
> hello, I am new to Blackbox, but not to linux.  Some themes come with
> ansi fonts(.pcf), I have no problems installing them to allow Eterm
> and Xterm to use them correctly.
> I do this:
> cp them to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc as root
> mkfontdir as root
> as user: xset fp rehash
>
> this allows my terminals to use them correctly, but i cannot get BB to
> use them correctly.  What am i missing here?

Sorry if I am making an assumption here but ....

Are you using a locale set to something other than "C"?  If so, what is
happening is the XFontSet code is not liking the fonts you specified.  It seems
several of the fonts (such as "snap") while they claim to properly support a
certain character set actually do not.  Unsetting you locale when you launch
blackbox will fix this, at the cost of some of your other apps.

If you are not using a locale, then I am not quite sure what is happening.

(To check your locale, open a term window and type 'echo $LANG' and 'echo
$LC_ALL').