> Subject: OT: Quirky problems on a laptop
> From: "Jamin W. Collins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Date: 16 Jan 2002 12:26:18 -0600
>
> My wife has a laptop that does some very strange things.  From time to
> time, certain programs will refuse to start.  However, in many cases a
> reboot will correct one or more of the applications.
>
> Most frequently, Evolution and GKrellM fail to start with a
> "Segmentation fault".  In some cases Blackbox fails to start (not sure
> error), but this is normally corrected by a restart.

    Anything suspicious in dmesg? What does df say about free space?
    I've seen various apps do various (nasty) things when the space on
    /var got all used... Stuff like this is usual suspects, but you
    haven't mentioned what you *have* tried to identify the problem,
    so..

> Anyone got any ideas, or places/lists for more information on how to
> look into something like this?  System information included below.

    Well, surely looks like a HW-related prob, doesn't it? You could try
    http://www.memtest86.com/, I've seen it touted on freebsd-questions@
    more than once.

--
FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE
7:48PM up 3 days, 23:46, 22 users, load averages: 0.12, 0.09, 0.02