On Monday 21 January 2002 05:29, Gino Peregrini wrote:
> I'd been using blackbox on Red Hat. I have changed to SuSE 7.3. I have bb
> 6.2 running well and have been over the menu.
>
> I'm wondering how to set up bb to start with certain programs
> running--bbpager and some dockapps, mostly. I know how to do that on Red
> Hat 7.1 but haven't figured where to put a pointer to startbb.
>
> I will appreciate any help.
>
> I have been running SuSE for almost two weeks, initially I used KDE,
> WindowMaker, and Gnome. KDE and WM are pretty neat, but their clutter makes
> me appreciate blackbox all the more.

What I did on my SuSE 7.3 is this: In .xinitrc, there is a line saying "# Add
your own lines here...". After that, insert the following lines:

#
# Add your own lines here...
#
if [ "$WINDOWMANAGER" == "/usr/bin/X11/blackbox" ]; then
    source .blackbox/start
fi

(You might want to add a -f .blackbox/start just to be safe.) And put this in
.blackbox/start:

--- .blackbox/start ---
#!/bin/bash

function start {
    delay=$2
    if [ "x_$delay" == "x_" ]; then
        delay=2
    fi

    sleep $delay && exec $1 >> /dev/null 2>&1 &
}

# It's beginning to feel a lot like christmas
# start xsnow

# Start the BlackBox tools
start "bbkeys -i -c /home/bo/.blackbox/bbkeysrc"
start bbpager
start "bbmail -w -c /home/bo/.blackbox/bbmailrc"

# Set the background image
start "xv -quit -root /home/bo/.blackbox/BlueStone.xpm"

# Start the KDE aRts sound server
start artsd 3
--- *** ---

You can then change the startup applications yourself. The start function
takes two arguments, the commandline and an optional number of seconds before
it's run.

The idea is that all applications are put to sleep and start up a couple of
seconds later. This gives the blackbox windowmanager time enough to run.

By doing it this way, you can choose your window manager from KDM, and only
if you choose blackbox will the start file be run. MMJ, maybe it was an idea
to add something like this to SuSEs .xinitrc, to do this trick?

Feel free to use this in any way you want.

Bo.

BTW, the reason that I don't give bbpager any options is that it has a bug
that prevents it from loading an alternative file.

     Free software developer    |   5290 Marslev
     SuSE Labs                  |   Denmark