"Sean 'Shaleh' Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On 12-Mar-2002 Mads Martin Jørgensen wrote:
>> Hey together,
>>
>> A colleague of mine noticed that even though the X resource .input is
>> set to false, blackbox still claims focus for the thing, even though it
>> is supposed to not do so.
>>
>> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/XLoad set XLoad.input: false
>>
>> as an example to verify.
>>
>> Is that one of the WM spec things in the works, or is it a bug?
>>

> perhaps there is a confusion over the meaning of 'input: false'.  This relates
> to keyboard input, not general X input.
>
>>From a term window do 'xload &' you will note the window opens with focus but
> the term window still owns the keyboard.

No, the term window doesn't own the keyboard. As soon as I move the
mouse over the 'xload' window, I can't type in the xterm anymore.

With other window managers, for example fvwm2 or sawfish or kwin (KDE)
it is like you describe, even when the mouse is over the 'xload'
window (focus follows mouse) or the one clicks into xload window
(click to focus) the keyboard input still goes into the xterm. That is
correct, but blackbox doesn't do that.

For xload this isn't really important, I noticed this problem with
kinput2 (a Japanese input server), which also sometimes pops up
windows which never should get any keyboard input, it causes problems
when they do. These windows of kinput2 have

    *SeparateConversion.input: false
    *selectionShell.input: false
    *auxShell.input: false

in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/Kinput2 which works for
most window managers but not for blackbox and windowmaker.

xload is just a convenient example to reproduce this problem, if it
would only concern xload I couldn't care less. But the use of kinput2
becomes somewhat more difficult on blackbox and windowmaker compared
to other window managers because one has to take care manually that
the kinput2 windows never get keyboard input.

> windowmaker works the same way.

Yes, windowmaker has the same bug. I tested all window managers
currently installed on my system and found

   have this bug:

   blackbox-0.62.1, WindowMaker-0.80.0,

   don't have this bug:

   fvwm2-2.4.5, sawfish-1.0.1, KDE3, icewm-1.0.9, enlightenment-0.16.5,
   scwm-0.99.6.2, twm (from XFree86 4.2.0).

--
Mike Fabian   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   http://www.suse.de/~mfabian
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。