--- Sean 'Shaleh' Perry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 30-Mar-2002 Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > We should consider having more than just one mailing list.
> >
> > Lately (thanks to Sean), we have had a lot of development discussion. I
> > think we should have a developers' mailing list. (This would also cover
> > usage that only applies to new development releases; i.e. new features.)
> >
> > Then for those who are only interested in new "official" releases, then
> > maybe we could have an announce (closed) mailing list.
> >
> > Then the regular mailing list can be used for discussion on using the
> > officially-released blackbox (and maybe some little X discussion).
> >

> I would be happy to create an announce list.
>
> As for splitting this list into user and developer (or stable and bleeding,
> or
> whatever), I would rather not.  Whenever you split a list you lose valuable
> insight.  The people most able to help the users leave the user list.  It
> also
> creates an artificial divide between the group "we are better than you".  I
> have seen this happen way to often.
>
> For me as a developer, I find that having as many people in one place talk
> about issues is good for everyone.  It maximizes the number of people testing
> the new code, lets those watching see how progress is going, etc.
>
> Historically, this list has always been split between talk of the current
> code
> and user support.  The traffic is fairly light 5 - 10 mails a day tops
usually.

That's right. As a non-developer and support-needer I find it good that the
devel-discussions are held in the same newsgroup. Even tohough I don't
understand that much I can see what's going on in the soon-to-be blackboxes.

Also I can tell myself that I contribute to the development of blackbox just by
reading those letters :-)

As long as the maximum amount of letters / day does not exeed, say, 50. I'm
very much OK with having the list combining devel and support.

Nimbus
Sweden