> I'm starting the program via my .xinitrc, and I've tried the following:
> wmswallow evolution evolution (didn't work)

wmswallow tries to put it in the slit, I doubt you want that.

> bblaunch -w 3 evolution --no-splash (doesn't throw it to the appropriate
> workspace, and doesn't iconify it)

once you have blackbox launched, try that same command line from a term window.
 My guess is evolution takes longer to load than bblaunch's timeout setting.
If the window does not open in N time bblaunch gives up and closes.  You most
likely need to experiment with it to find the right amount of time.