On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 08:50:22PM -0400, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> hello,
>
> anyway, it turned out to be a lot easier than i thought it was going to be.
> edit config.h and define STDC_HEADERS, and then there is this interesting
> other issue, which is why i'm writing here.
>
> MIPSpro does not honor the C++ thing where variable scope is kept withing a
> for loop (for example) and so in the instance where the same variable name was
> used twice in the same function within seperate scope, i had to change one to
> be different so that MIPSpro could cope.
>
> would i be asking too terribly much to ask that the the variable scope rules
> meet that of plain old C so that blackbox will cleanly build on SGI kit using
> MIPSpro as the compiler?
>
> there were only, i think maybe 4 or 5 instances of this happening, so it's not
> a terribly huge undertaking, and would help out tremendously thouse of us who
> like to use MIPSpro.

I used to work at a place where we build C++ on SGI machines, and
the compiler needed a "-LANG:std" (or something very similiar) to
accept "modern" C++ code. This flag set the compiler in a mode where
code like ...

for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++) {
   ... stuff ...
}

was good, and the "i" variable was only valid within the scope of
the for block. Did you build blackbox with this flag?

Art Haas
 -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759