I'm surprised. Usually games make sure to take over all user input
entirely. That HalfLife is letting some fall through is odd.

Anyway, QS itself does not provide a means to do this. But you could
just paste the following two lines into AppleScript Editor, save the
script somewhere that QS will find it (~/Library/Scripts is a good
choice), and then run it via QS as the way you launch Steam.

tell application "Steam" to activate
tell application "Quicksilver" to quit

You'll have to restart Quicksilver when you are done playing.