#13244: Gnome 3.36 related packages not in Gnome chapters gedit libdazzle
gtksourceview4 libsoup epiphany glib-networking pipewire libhandy
-------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  bdubbs       |       Owner:  renodr
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by renodr):

 '''pipewire-0.3.1'''

 I'm starting with this package first because I know that it may cause
 problems with Plasma.

 From what I gather, it may have a few new libraries and programs. We shall
 see!

 {{{
 PipeWire 0.3.1

 This is a bugfix release that is API and ABI compatible
 with previous 0.3.x releases.

 - Don't load the rtkit module by default. It can cause a
   sigkill, which is not desirable for mutter, for example.
   Only enable this for the jack library for now.
 - Don't use pthread cancel by default because it uses a
   signal that might crash some apps. Only use it for
   the jack library because jack clients really expect this.
 - Build fixes for -Werror=suggest-attribute=format
 - improve error messages, don't report harmless errors and
   warnings. Try to send error messages to the proxy that
   started the operation or is the owner of the object.
 - pw-cat: midi improvement, add midi recording and dump
   in verbose mode
 - fix properties when loading spa-nodes from the config
 - Fix and update some examples
 - jack: check arguments and don't crash when invalid
 - Fix buffer memory upload.
 - jack: fix compatibility with zrythm. Fix timemaster
   install, improve sample_rate callback. Fix reposition
   handling.
 - fix crash in port after buffer negotiation error.
 - add support for control ports in pw_filter
 - fix cleanup of the metadata module
 - improve param enumeration.
 - Clear stream buffers when the format is cleared.
 - Add create-object command in the config file to create
   object from a factory.
 - Fix crash after the driver was not removed from unassigned
   nodes. Also properly pause inactive nodes.
 - Use "true" and "false" in properties when we are talking
   about a boolean.
 - pulseaudio: improve compatibility

 Older versions:

 PipeWire 0.3.0

 The 0.3 release is a major milestone in the developement of
 PipeWire. It features a complete redesign of the scheduling
 mechanisms that make it possible to run a JACK compatibility
 layer with comparable performance to JACK2.

 The API has been reworked and is declared stable now. All
 developement files and runtime paths are versioned so that
 future incompatible changes can be done without breaking
 exising applications.

 PipeWire 0.3 also includes a (now mandatory) session manager
 that populates and controls the PipeWire graph. This example
 session manager is very simple and not configurable. It is
 expected that future version will either switch to a more
 flexible session manager (like WirePlumber) or improve the
 configuration options of the example session manager.

 PipeWire 0.3 includes both PulseAudio, JACK and ALSA
 compatibility libraries that are known to support a wide range
 of applications. The ALSA library is pretty complete at this
 point. The JACK and mostly the PulseAudio compatibility
 libraries need more work. See the Wiki pages for the current
 compatibility problems. We do not yet encourage people to
 switch away from their existing audio solutions (PulseAudio
 or JACK) but we would love to hear from people who try it
 anyways. Future versions will mostly focus on improving
 compatibility further to make PipeWire a drop-in replacement.

 PipeWire comes with some GStreamer plugins to consume and
 produce data for PipeWire. The consumer (pipewiresrc) is
 working well in most cases. The sink (pipewiresink) is known
 to be somewhat problematic for now.

 PipeWire 0.2.97

 Eigth pre-release for upcomming 0.3:

 - Build fixes
 - pw-cat improvement: Fix remote name, add midi support
 - add device subscribe params for completeness
 - jack and pulseaudio compatibility fixes
 - Fix a bug in resampler, add quality option, tweaked quality
   settings, tested now against https://src.infinitewave.ca/
   testsignals and submitted results for publication.
 - Fix awkwardness in buffer negotiations, the default number of
   buffers was 4 and jack could only handle 2, causing
   corruption. Also implement negotiation of Step ranges.
 - Fix device reservation to work together with pulseaudio,
   previously we would block pulseaudio.

 PipeWire 0.2.96

 Seventh pre-release for upcomming 0.3:

 - jack: improve compatibility
 - Fix unit test
 - Fix license of jack and alsa libs
 - Make start/stop more threadsafe
 - Fix rt-kit again, add params to configure things, increase default
   soft/hard limits to avoid being killed.
 - version 0 compatibility improvements, tested with firefox, cheese,
   GStreamer and chrome using compat layers.
 - Fix timing for gstreamer source
 - Require libspa in pkg-config file
 - Limit buffers to 16 to support old clients

 PipeWire 0.2.95

 Sixth pre-release for upcomming 0.3:

 - Fix tests for big endian some more
 - Improve v2 compatibility mode: improve type negotiation and
   update_permissions
 - Workaround for firefox screen sharing

 PipeWire 0.2.94

 Fifth pre-release for upcomming 0.3:

 - Fix man page names
 - Fix jack set_sync_timeout
 - Improve JACK compatibility with apps that cache buffer pointers.
 - Improve mlock failure warning message, add property to configure
   if mlock should be used.
 - Improve OBJECT_PATH in alsa objects
 - Install in versioned directory
 - Add pw-profiler tool
 - Improve pulseaudio compatibility wrt pa_operations
 - Thread safety fixes in remote nodes when activating/deactivating
 - Improve JACK names on duplicates
 - Add option to ignore failure when loading modules

 PipeWire 0.2.93

 Fourth pre-release for upcomming 0.3:

 - Fix unit tests on 32 bits
 - Append -pw version to pulse and jack libs. This way we can install
   it next to the real libraries and use a symlink to enable it.
 - Improve jack support by killing threads with pthread_cancel. This
   then also remove the eventfd from the data-loop, making it
   maybe a little faster.
 - Fix jack_client_close() compatibility
 - Fix some segfaults in the session manager
 - Improve debug of protocol messages
 - Add examples options
 - Don't fail when alsa is not found
 - Fix some compiler warnings with a new spa_aprintf() helper.
 - Add pw-cat, the simple audio playback/record tool
 - Rename pipewire tools to pw- prefix
 - Add improve pw-cli object dump feature

 PipeWire 0.2.92

 Third pre-release for upcomming 0.3:

 - Improve old version check some more
 - Fix unit tests on little/big endian
 - Fix compilation when CPU has no optimisations
 - Install jack and pulse libraries
 - Handle -EACCESS in flatpack access module

 PipeWire 0.2.91

 It is mostly a bugfix release to make the new version install and
 run correctly in distros.

 - Install session manager, fix path to find the session manager
 - Fix alsa buffer reuse
 - Small fixes for crasher bugs
 - Implement pw_core_set_paused() to suspend/resume even
   processing. This can be used when using multiple connections
   to a daemon and one needs to pause one connection until the
   other one completes an action. Used by session managers.
 - Improve old version check

 PipeWire 0.2.90

 This is the first pre-release of the 0.3 version. It consists of a
 major rewrite and is not API or ABI compatible with the 0.2
 branch.
 }}}

--
Ticket URL: <http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/ticket/13244#comment:10>